Thursday, May 2, 2013

Sandy - Visual Triangle Card Tip


Hi, it's Sandy with a tutorial on using a visual triangle in card design. This design principle helps me decide where to place various elements like the sentiment and the embellishments. It also guides the viewer  instinctively along the path connecting the three points of the triangle, easily bringing across the message of my design.


1) My starting point is this Crate Paper DIY Shop journal card. It consists of a frame with a floral cluster in the bottom left corner. I add a Dear Lizzy Lucky Charm star die-cut next to the flower to create a base for my visual triangle, aligning it so the tip points along the diagonal of the triangle.

2) The logical place to put my sentiment is the top left corner. However "Thank You Daring" is too lengthy and will disrupt the visual triangle. My solution is to separate it into two lines.


3) To fill the empty gap in the middle of the card, I pop down a little bird which echoes the brown tones in the leaves and branches of the floral cluster. I am careful to place it so that the chest and head is approximately along the line of the diagonal.
 
4) Finally I embellish the right-angled point of my triangle with a dimensional flower to increase it's visual weight. At this point I'm done, the visual triangle is complete and adding anything else would detract from the design.
 

If you find this design discussion helpful, please leave a comment. That way I'll include more design tips in future posts.

Supplies : Dear Lizzy Lucky Charm Die-Cut Shapes, Crate Paper Maggie Holmes Phrase Stickers & Tag Cuts, Crate Paper DIY Shop Tag Cuts, Kaisercraft Paper Blooms Dusty Pink

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled upon this site, and this post and wanted to let you know I found it very helpful.

    Love your card too - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete