Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Beck - Telegraph Road mini-book

Well hello there!  How is your week going?  It's a short working week here in New Zealand, with Waitangi Day tomorrow.  I love a short week!!!  

Now, did you get to take a look at this month's Kaisercraft releases yet? Wow we have some great new things in to play with.  Go take a look at the Telegraph Road, Hello Sunshine and Now Boarding ranges under the New Products section of the online shop, by clicking here

I've been playing with the delicious Telegraph Road paper range, and some Bazzill Kraft cardstock. Hmm, what's in here? (look at those pretty colours)


Well lookie look, it's a mini-book!  Oh dear, that IS corny, isn't it?!


I have created a mini-book as a record of a scrapbooking fundraiser that I was involved in a couple of years ago.  With a little help from 80 other like-minded scrappy ladies, we raised just over $2,500.00 for the New Zealand Breast Cancer Foundation.  So now I have a little reminder for myself of how it all played out, on the day.


Why the NZBCF?  My Great Grandmother, Jessie Kearns. She died of breast cancer at a young age.   Not to mention that a scary number of women in New Zealand in each year are affected by breast cancer.  One in nine of us in our lifetime.  I could go on....


Back to the scrapping... I hid some journalling behind a photo of my great grandparents, and used several small photos to complete my album.  This is the only photo in the whole wide world of me QUILTING.  Yep, I have only done it once, but I would like to have another go some day.


I imported my photos into Photoshop, and resized all my photos to the smaller sizes I needed.  I then grouped several of them at a time on one 6x4" blank, and then printed them out.  Sound a little foreign?  I'll try and do a tutorial soon on some basic Photoshop techniques.


I had a lot of helpers on the day, including hubby Darryl, son Jacob and my Mum and Dad.  Dad and Daz had the early morning job of inflating all the balloons with helium and attaching them to all the chairs.


We had a giant spread of morning tea - sandwiches, sweets, cakes and cupcakes, yum yum yum!  The quilt I made was assembled from donated fabrics, in all different shades of pink.  I had a lot of help from Linda at the Timaru Sewing Centre, which was invaluable given my (lack of) previous sewing experience.  It was the most popular of all the raffles by far, eventually going to a local woman who had been undergoing breast cancer treatment.  Perfect.


During the event, I ran random pop-quizzes and face-the-music quizzes, to give out spot prizes.  Jacob was only 8 at the time, and he was my prize runner on the day, as well as my scrappers-rubbish-bin-emptier and raffle-ticket-seller at times too.  He did an ace job.


And that about sums it up - a successful day once again.  Thanks for taking the time to share my memories with me today. Make sure you pop into the shop and grab yourself some of these lovely papers and embellishments to play with, before they're all snapped up!

That's it from me, I'll be back on the 20th, so I'll see y'all then (unless I see you in the shop first, of course!)

Toodles, Beck x


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Becks. Looks really good and a lovely reminder, of a great fundraiser and a great Cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beck you are incredible...this is such a beautiful book with an amazing story, thank you for sharing and I am privileged to know you <3 Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, love it, love it Beck xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning Becks, oh and look I am in it LOL ... A great reminder of an awesome day :-) Tracey x

    ReplyDelete