Friday, June 14, 2013

Sandy - Trying Out a Little Mixed Media


Hi it's Sandy posting today. This month I went out of my comfort zone, got my hands messy with some paint, ink and mist to create in a more artsy style. For my page background I stamped with Tim Holtz's Antique Linen ink onto grey cardstock using Kaisercraft Gird Stamp and Kaisercraft Script Stamp. 


Then I built up two embellished clusters : one around the photo, the other around the journaling. To link these two elements together I used chipboard film strips. You can cut your own either with the Die-namic Mini Film Strip Die or are punch it out of cardstock using the EK Film Strip Edge Punch. To add a subtle shine I gently dubbed some Brilliance Galaxy Gold ink onto my chipboard title.


To soften the page I added some textile elements around each embellishment cluster. I used the Sew Easy system to create the stitched semi-circles and then put some Das Plaster gauze around each slide frame.


The next step was splattering paint spots to tie everything together. I used a mixture of Adirondack Terracotta Acrylic and Charcoal Glimmer Mist. In the close-up you can see the more viscous nature of the paint resulted in nice round dots while the watery mist resulted in a more splotchy look.


Finally I want to share a fun idea for using washi tapes to make little dimensional embellishments for your page. Just cover plain buttons with tape, tear off the edges and use an awl to pierce the button holes. I had a lot of fun creating this layout and hope you'll be inspired to incorporate some mixed media into your next creation.

Other Supplies : Studio Calico (Atlantic Plymouth, Sundrifter Die-Cut Shapes), Crate Paper The Pier (Slide Frames, Splash), Basic Grey Basics Candy Buttons, Wycinanka chipboards



No comments:

Post a Comment