Tuesday, August 21, 2012

DT Intro - Lowri McNabb

Today we welcome LOWRI McNABB - our Design Team Co-Cordinator!!!


Keep reading right to the end to find out how to win a Grandma's Kitchen Echo Park Mini Theme Kit. Everyday there will be another prize to win... so don't miss a day!


Hi Everyone - Lowri here. I am not at all new but I get to go first and re-introduce myself to you! If you want to read the personal stuff you can see my online bio here - but the scrappy stuff is much more interesting! I have also added a little list at the end of you want to start your own blog - or grow your existing blog too.

This is one of my favorite recent projects!
It's on my blog today and uses the everyday Eclectic Collection from Echo Park
How were you introduced to scrapbooking?
When my oldest son was born, I decided to make a scrapbook with pictures of him for my Mother’s birthday. I bought everything from the Warehouse and the $2 shop – and I created absolutely everything from scratch. When I discovered that there was a whole ENORMOUS industry dedicated to scrapbooking - I was immediately hooked.

What inspires you for layouts, projects, cards?
I get HEAPS of inspiration on-line and I am always on the lookout for items to use in second-hand shops, $2 shops, hardware store, grocery store – you get the picture. I look at a lot of other blogs and if I see something I like I try to re-create it from scratch, putting my own twist on it along the way.

This is another recent favorite using the Check-In Collection from Kaisercraft
What other project types do you like to work on besides scrapbook pages?
I mainly do mini albums, small papercraft pieces, BTP projects and altered items. I find the full-size pages really daunting and I love the idea of making something practical that the recipient can look at frequently.

What is your favourite scrapbook brand and why?
Well – that is a toughie! I love Echo Park and Cosmo Cricket - a lot! I like bright and bold colours, but also retro styling and textured, good quality paper. The more experienced I get the more I am mixing manufacturers and collections - but I am still much a "one collection at a time" scrapper!
I loved this Hello Summer Collection and made this Hybrid album featuring my daughter
What scrapbooking tools/products can you not do without?
Adhesive eraser, corner rounder, very sharp knife, metal ruler, dimensional foam tape, fine grit sandpaper and my computer. I use it not only for searching for ideas, but I love to print onto PP, print out text for invitations, cards, etc

What is your current favorite technique or embellishment?
I am very fickle when it comes to this question!! My favorite tends to be the last one I saw that inspired me. Right now I am loving the bakers twine and wooden embellishment trend. I love all the wooden flourishes from Kaisercraft and it's great to see other companies making them too

What do you hope to try or improve on this year?
I am constantly trying to improve my photography skills and my next aim is to be able to take great pics of my kids

What advice can you give to people just beginning to enjoy scrapbooking?


  1. Enjoy yourself - this is meant to be fun!
  2. Don’t panic – if it doesn’t work – what have you lost? Most times you can just cover it with a bigger piece of paper and start again!
  3. You don’t need everything and anything out there– only buy product you love and think you will use in the next 3 months (I really should start heeding that advice!!)
  4. Find a few people on-line whose styles you admire, follow their blog – ask them questions. There is not a blogger out there who doesn’t love to know people are interested in their work. 
  5. Enter some challenges/DT calls etc. It's hard sometimes to "put yourself out there" but you will find people are friendly and really appreciative you have taken the time to share your work
My most popular project now even has its own website here!
 What advice can you give to people wanting to start a blog? 
  1. You just have to start! Blogger is free, easy to use and I would create about 6 posts before you launch so you have some good content to start with.
  2. Create good content is the secret to getting people to come back and visit over and over. You can drive people to your blog with gimmicks or giveaways, but you really need them to sign up as a follower so they come back again!
  3. Take good pictures of your projects. A great picture can make an average project look awesome - a bad picture will make an awesome project look average. Take your pics outside, and use Picasa to edit them. It's free too! You don't need a flash camera - it's all about the lighting and editing...
  4. To grow your readership - link your projects up to manufacturers facebook pages, link to other websites where you can, write guest posts for other blogs - try a few things out and see what works best for you
  5. All of this takes a lot of time. A blog is yours and don't put yourself under any pressure. Do what makes you happy. Lots of people ask me how I grew my blog and the simple answer is - I spent a LOT of time on it! I spend much more time on the computer than creating projects these days!
Please post a comment if you have any questions :-)

Now head to Lowri's Gallery and leave a comment on the project which you think you are going to try at home! Since Lowri is on the Echo Park Design Team, she's going to give away away a Grandma's Kitchen Echo Park 12x12 Mini Kit to a commenter. You have until midnight Friday Sept 6th to make your comment.  (Why don't you check out the Echo Park blog hop starting today to win even more prizes!)

5 comments:

  1. Left my comment. Thanks for sharing about yourself Lowri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lowri, you have certainly shared some really good advice for new scrappers!!! Am certain we have all purchased anything and everything when starting out...
    LOL Actually still have some of it!!!
    Love your style Lowri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally love the travel album by Kaiser. You are one very clever lady and can't wait to see more of your work to keep us inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute little ablum. I bet the inside is filled with lots of inspirations. Great creations. TFS AJ-

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHOW -Just love your work.
    W - WONDERFUL
    H - HAPPINESS WHEN DOING CRAFT WORK
    O - SOME
    W - WICKED WORK LOWRI

    ReplyDelete