Monday, August 19, 2013

Design Team Introduction - Lisa Ryder


We are excited to introduce our new Design Team over the course of the next few days. Please head to the blog to see the official team announcement and read to the bottom of this post to find out how you can win a share of $150 worth of celebratory prizes!

Today we welcome Lisa Ryder 

Hi all! I'm Lisa, and I am very excited and honoured to have been chosen as a member of 2013's Artfull Crafts Design Team. I'm Timaru born and bred, and I still live here with my husband, Ivan, and our daughter, Lauren - and you can find out a bit more about me in the Q&A below. :)

How were you introduced to papercrafting?

It seems that I've loved playing with and creating things from paper for as long as I can remember. I kept scrapbooks as a kid -- the kind with the old-fashioned sheets of scraps that you cut out and then glue in (anyone else remember those?) and I also used to make paper dolls cut from magazines, complete with many outfits for them, too. As a teenager, my scrapbooks contained mostly popstars --the majority being of Duran Duran. (and I still have those scrapbooks today!) These days, a love of photography, rubberstamping, creating mini-albums, cardmaking and putting together the occasional 12x12 layout all keep me busy and happy.

What type of papercrafts do you enjoy?

I have a deep and abiding love for mini-albums, mixed media, collage (often using recycled and repurposed objects and papers) and home decor items such as canvases and other BTP projects.



This is a wooden house (thrifted and painted white), which I decorated with a mixture of patterned papers and various images found online. I've added foam tape behind the majority of the pictures to give the piece some extra dimension. (Also, spot the washi tape. Of course it''s there!) It would be fun (and easy!) to recreate something similar using old family photographs, snippets of handwritten letters and other sentimental treasures. :)


What inspires you for layouts, projects, cards?

So many things! Sometimes I am inspired by a photograph, or a page in a magazine, or even a piece of music that creates a visual in my head. Sometimes it's as simple as a combination of colours on a piece of paper, or a certain pattern. I also love to spend time looking at arty, creative blogs, and websites like Pinterest and Flickr. My instagram feed is also a constant source of beautiful eyecandy and inspiration.


These are a selection of mixed-media canvases I have made, using a variety of material and elements: photographs, old slide mounts, paint, ink, pages from thrifted vintage books, & various punched patterned papers. Always fun to make!

What is your favourite craft  brand and why?

I really like Kaisercraft for their constant new and fresh designs, because they really do seem to have something for every taste and style. (I'm sort of addicted to the Collectables.) The Teresa Collins range is also gorgeous and filled with all kinds of inspiring papers, and I am a long-time fan of the Basic Grey range.

What scrapbooking tools/products can you not do without?

Glue, double-sided tape, my trusty scissors and a black ink pad.
 

What is your current favorite technique or embellishment?

WASHI TAPE. In all-caps, to try and convey the depth of my love. Seriously, stand still long enough around me and I might just decorate you with a roll or two of it. :D I love the variety of patterns and designs, and the myriad of things it can be used for: from a touch of it on a card or layout, to using it as the main design element in a project. Plus, it's re-usable, which is awesome.


These are a selection of artist trading cards (ATCs) made for an international art swap I took part in. ATCs are a great way to get creativity flowing because they're on a small scale, and you can put them together with all kinds of bits and pieces, including those leftover scraps of paper and embellishments we all seem to end up with after completing a project. They're some of my most favourite things to make.



What do you hope to try or improve on this year?

I'd like to do some more layouts, I think. Just of everyday life, which is why I cannot wait to get started on some Project Life stuff. The possibilities are so very exciting! I also hope to update my poor, slightly-neglected blog a little more regularly--  fingers crossed!

What advice can you give to people just beginning to enjoy papercrafting?

You can do it! So many people claim that they're not creative enough, or that it all looks too hard. It's really not! :) There are so many tutorials around for all kinds of projects, with clear step-by-step instructions. Also, Artfull Crafts offers a huge variety of classes/craft evenings and there is no better way to begin crafting than with like-minded folk around to chat with and to help you out. :) The store's thriving facebook page is a great place to start-- there is always someone around who can surely answer any queries or questions you might have.


Thanks so much for looking, and I look forward to sharing more creations during my time on the team! :)

Cheers,
Lisa


HOW TO WIN PRIZES!!
   All competitions below close on midnight Satuday 24th August.
  • Head to our Gallery, scroll along the hallway, click on the portraits and welcome the girls. Comment on any projects that you LOVE! (Each comment puts you in a draw to win a $50 prize pack). 
  • Follow the Artfull Crafts Blog and follow the girls on their personal blogs. Leave us a message (on Facebook or email) letting us know you've started following, and we'll put you in a draw to win a $20 gift voucher).
1) How many cats are lazing around down the Gallery?
2)  Name someone who was on last year's team, who is staying on for another year.
3) Name the person whose style most closely matches yours.
  • Finally, head to Saturday's blogpost and say goodbye to the team we are farewelling. (Each comment put you in a draw to win another $50 prize pack.)
Have a fun time checking out the new team, and don't forget to share the New Design Team blog link on your Facebook Page!

No comments:

Post a Comment