Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Design Team Introduction - Lydia Wiley

We are excited to introduce our new Design Team over the course of the next few days. Please head to the blog to see the official announcement and read to the bottom of the post to find out how you can win a share of $150 worth of celebratory prizes!

Today we welcome Lydia Wiley



Hi Everyone!  I'm Lydia and I am thrilled and honored to be a part of the Artfull Crafts Design Team for 2013.  I lived in Dunedin for just almost three years before moving back to my home country The States. I now live in Longmont, Colorado with my husband of 19 years and three sons ages 13, 12, and 9.5.  Below you will find out more about me and my scrapping loves.  :)

How were you introduced to scrapbooking?

I have loved paper, crayons, pens, anything crafty from the time I was a little girl.  I still have those very first cut and paste scrapbooks.  But my sister-in-law first introduced me to scrapbooking 17 years ago when she gave me an album, some paper, and stickers.  Honestly, I thought what in the world would I do with it because I didn't have children.  Well 17 years, three boys, and millions of photos of anything and everything later.....I am very thankful she did introduce me.


What inspires you for layouts, projects, cards? 

I would have to say that my biggest inspiration would be the world around me.  I am an avid photographer and I often take photos because a flower, sunset, or insect is just beautiful.  I see such beauty in my boys as well.  I love to take my inspiration from that photo and turn it into my layout or project.  I also enjoy looking at magazines, blogs, and the advertising in stores as inspiration.


This layout has a base of white paint to house all the Authentique patterned paper and embellishments.
Clusters of twine, flowers, doilies, and buttons along with the stamped boy and girl enhance this photo. This photo is one of my favorites of my youngest son, Aden and my best friend's daughter.  I love this layout because it truly captures the friendship of these two.


What other project types do you like to work on besides scrapbook pages? 

While my main paper love is 12x12 layouts, I also enjoy mixed media, canvas projects, mini albums, and home decor/BTP.


I made this canvas for my oldest son, Aron.  The tape across the bottom of the photo says "where ever you go, go with all your heart".  For the base of the canvas, I misted with two different colors, used molding paste and stencil along with book pages.  Other embellishments including stamped wings and a hand cut corrugated heart.  I printed the photo on linen paper to give it a softer look.  I love this canvas because Aron is such a kind, soft hearted kid.  At 13 he still gives me hugs all the time and is always looking out for me asking if I'm OK.  I truly hope that where ever he goes, he will let his heart lead.


What is your favourite scrapbook brand and why?

I love Crate Paper and Studio Calico.  I especially love the way their paper ranges coordinate with each line.  Their embellishments, like the wood veneer and chipboard, are on the top of my favorites list.

What is currently your favourite technique or embellishment?

Wood veneer seems to be finding its way into my stash and on my layouts quite a bit.  I love all the different shapes and since I have a love for all things little they fill that love too!  :)

What scrapbooking tools/products can you not do without? 

I use my paper cutter, cutter bee scissors, and double sided tape on just about every layout I make.  I would be lost without my patterned paper, doilies, and flowers.




This is one of my favorite layouts of my middle son Ian.  I started with patterned paper and added mist splotches on it.  A mix of flowers, twine wrapped hearts, and Prima resin pieces accent it along with doilies misted red.  Ian once told me that he loved me so much and always wanted to be a Mama's boy.  I love that he is so sweet and innocent that to him it just means that he loves me lots.


What do you hope to try or improve on this year? 

I would love to branch out with my art journal and my canvases.  I love to make them but always feel inhibited by what is in my mind and how to get it out.  I am also striving to make more mini albums.  I love them but just don't get around to making them as often as I would like.

What advice can you give to people just beginning to enjoy scrapbooking?  

Don't be afraid if you are doing it "right".  Just enjoy the process!  Scrapbooking can seem intimidating but really its just what you like put to paper.  There are so many resources out there for techniques, product suggestions, and inspiration.  Including the Artfull Crafts blog and Artfull Crafts Facebook page.


Thanks for taking a look!  I'm excited to spend this year sharing my scrap projects and inspiration with you.

'Till next time!
Lydia



HOW TO WIN PRIZES!!
   All competitions below close on midnight Satuday 24th August.
  • Head to our Gallery, scroll along the hallway, click on the portraits and welcome the girls. Comment on any projects that you LOVE! (Each comment puts you in a draw to win a $50 prize pack). 
  • Follow the Artfull Crafts Blog and follow the girls on their personal blogs. Leave us a message (on Facebook or email) letting us know you've started following, and we'll put you in a draw to win a $20 gift voucher).
  • Answer the 3 questions below on our Facebook Page or as a comment in this blogpost to go in the draw a $30 prize pack.
1) How many cats are lazing around down the Gallery?
2)  Name someone who was on last year's team, who is staying on for another year.
3) Name the person whose style most closely matches yours.

  • Finally, head to Saturday's blogpost and say goodbye to the team we are farewelling. (Each comment put you in a draw to win another $50 prize pack.)
Have a fun time checking out the new team, and don't forget to share the New Design Team blog link on your Facebook Page!

No comments:

Post a Comment