Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Beck - Squeaking in with some late May posts!

Hello there ladies!

I have a couple of layouts to show you today, that I actually INTENDED to show you last month. Oops.  Sorry about that gals.  As is often the case, unexpected things happen and life gets in the way sometimes.  Oh well, let's get on with the show, shall we?  

I have lots to show you this month... Other than my two layouts today, I will be coming at you again later in the month with scrappy goodness made from more soon-to-be-released Kaisercraft ranges, not to mention I will be having a play with the very sought after Marion Smith papers.  Mmm mmmm! :) 

The first layout to show you today has been created with some of the May Storyteller range from Kaisercraft, which you can view online in the shop here.


I tell you what, I had FUN making this one!  I stepped totally out of my comfort zone, and indulged in a bit of messy play.  I recently attended a class taken by the very talented and funny Natalie May.  She got me all inspired to get in there and try using all sorts of stuff on my layouts for a change.  A typical 'Beck' layout would usually involve sewing, layers, fussy cutting and handmade flowers.  This is far from typical me, but VERY VERY cool!

I started with some Beck-style layers, sewing them onto the page, and curling the edges.  Then I went nuts and added some gesso to dull-down the brighter colours, and some texture paste doilies using a super cute Prima/Finnabair mask.



I layered on top of that with some stamped bricks, just kind of 'plonked' on the page, and followed that with some stencilling, using some grey chalk ink and a Tim Holtz latticework stencil, then I added some random pieces of washi tape spread around the page, to help frame my photo.



The finishing touch?  Black Heidi Swapp Color Shine.  I used it to frame the outside of the page, and did some random 'splats' around the page too.  This stuff is fun!  I haven't had a play with this sort of stuff since glimmer mists were first in fashion quite a while back.  I have to say I love love love it!  

I reckon that I have learnt some pretty cool new techniques, which I would love to share with you ladies in a class some time.  Who's keen?  Let me know via Facebook or leave me a comment here if you think you might be interested :)

Now, for layout number two... created from the delightful Mister Fox collection, available online in the shop here.  This is a great collection for more neutral or masculine pages.  Lots of nice olive greens and deep orange shades, teamed with black, white and brown.



This is definitely more of a Beck layout!  My typical fussy cutting, layers, clusters of embellishments and handmade rolled flowers.  Although I did cover the bottom layer of white bazzill with gesso to form a seal, so that my Heidi Swapp Color Shine splats didn't spread or soak into the page too much.

So I guess you could say that this is a little bit old me and a little bit new me?  Ha ha ha!



Ok.  So that's it from me today... I'll have more to show you next week, so I will see you then.  Same bat time, same bat channel!  Again, if you think you might like to do a technique class, let me know :)

Toodles, Beck x

3 comments:

  1. Tammy Dale-HodgsonJune 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM

    Love both of these layouts and the use of mixed media :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Beck!

    ReplyDelete