Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sunday Scrapping with Guest Artist Ruby McGuire

Hi everyone - Lowri here. We have our usual weekly round up today along with Guest Artist Ruby McGuire. She makes some really beautiful cards and she has a style that is very diverse. Look at these wonderful examples.


Artfull Crafts Weekly Round-Up
Some more amazing inspiration this week on the blog - take a look at these posts from LizSandy, Christine, Lisa, Louise and Betsy!



Artfull Crafts DT News
Lowri has had 2 posts published on the Little Yellow Bicycle blog this week. She is guest designing for them this month.

Week 1 - link to read the post

 Week 2 - link to read the post

You might also like to check out the Paper Issues Blog Hop. You can see all the details here and Lowri's entry here. Ruby, our Guest Designer today is on the hop too - check out her post here. She made this wonderful card with the Cosmo Cricket papers

 


Sandy's Gorgeous Tutorial
Sandy has a wonderful tutorial on her blog showing you exactly how to make these gorgeous flowers

 

Sunday Scrapping
with Guest Artist Ruby McGuire

Ruby lives in the UK and has a fantastic blog Ruby2Shoes. You can also find her on Facebook.
Ruby was kind enough to answer our questions and share some of her favourite projects.


How were you introduced to scrapbooking?
I started cardmaking when I went to a craft show and my Mum's 60th was coming up so I decided to use some of the beautiful scrapbook papers that I was cutting up to make a scapbook for her special day.

What inspires you for layouts, projects, cards?
Sketches, magazines, other layouts, colour. I see inspiration wherever I go, in shop windows, posters, brochures, fashion, home decor, even silly things like the colour/pattern of a teatowel or the colour of a bracelet! 

What other project types do you like to work on besides scrapbook pages?
I love to make cards. This passion has really overtaken my scrapbooking the past couple of years but I'm itching to get started on a bit of scrapbooking again. 

What is your favourite scrapbook brand and why?
Can I have four?! Basic Grey, I love their patterns and colour ranges, particularly when they combine text with florals, and their bright colours too.
I am also a big fan of Cosmo Cricket, MME and Echo Park. I just love the way all of their patterns co-ordinate making that creative process so much easier.


What scrapbooking tools/products can you not do without?
My tweezers! They are like a second pair of hands to me! I've tried everywhere to get another set but so far have just ended with lots of new pairs that I don't like or can't use!
My Tim Holtz scissors, they are just fab! I could never understand what all the fuss was about until I used someone elses. No more sore thumbs from scissors that cut off your blood supply when you use them. I know I'm sad but I love the sound they make when I cut paper with them too!
Nesties for layering and any/all of the Lawn Fawn stamps, they are my absolute favourite and Papertrey Ink, I love their mix and match flexibility.

What is your current favorite technique or embellishment?
Ooh I have a few! Copic colouring, I'm learning to colour properly on the Color Me creative online classes. I also love paper piecing but haven't done that for a while.
I love making my own little paper flowers and Tim Holtz rosette die is a new fave of mine right now, plus the little flower molds from Etsy's Mold Muse.

What do you hope to try or improve on this year?
I hope to try and make some more mini books. I always feel a great sense of satisfaction when I give a gift with their treasured memories as a keepsake.

What advice can you give to people just beginning to enjoy scrapbooking?
If you can't get a layout or card to work don't get frustrated, walk away and go back to it later with a fresh pair of eyes. You will be amazed at how that can get your mojo flowing again!

Do you have a blog?

FINALLY - can you share with us your three favourite projects – and tell us a little about how you created them and why you love them


This was a really simple project, it started as one card for a colour blocking challenge, but then I just couldn’t stop playing around with the different colour combinations. I also love colouring the butterfly with Copics to created the stained glass window effect

I just love these coloured patterned papers that inspired this beachy card. I love Lawn Fawn stamps, they are great to paper piece or colour.
 
This card is one of my favourites because I literally dreamed about the design of it and when I’d finished it looked exactly the same as my dream. I would love this to happen more often, but it never had before and never has since!

I have been trying to work out what my ‘style’ is for a while now and have come to the conclusion that I mostly do cute or elegant. I seem to switch between the two modes. I love this card because the patterned paper is just so pretty and I love that little bird cage. 

 

Thank-you much Ruby - we love your cards!

Lowri 

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful Guest Designer! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work Ruby! Your style (not to be defined..lol) is certaily pretty, cute & elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a variety of lovely styles! love the color blocked butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate the shout-out for my flower tutorial

    ReplyDelete